Cygwin/X and emacs always hangs..

Bram Kivenko cygwin-xfree@xspace.com
Mon Sep 13 14:01:00 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I searched and couldn't
really find anything.

The newest release of xorg-x11 that I just downloaded from
mirrors.kernel.org *still* exhibits the same problem of hanging when I
run emacs.  The particular version of emacs does not matter.  It hangs
when I run either gnu-emacs or xemacs remotely from a linux box or when
I run cygwin ports locally.

I just downloaded and recompiled the newest version of gnu-emacs on my
linux box and it works when I run it off the Xserver on the box.  But
Cygwin/X hangs within minutes of using it.  It definitely has something
to do with the clipboard.  But when I first start X, emacs can use the
clipboard.  Some unknown event makes X intolerable of emacs' usage of
the clipboard.

Once emacs hangs, all other emacs will immediately hang upon clipboard
usage until I reset the X server.

I don't use any fancy run-options.  And it doesn't matter if I use
-clipboard or not, -multiwindow or not.  It's the same thing.

Does anyone know anything about this?  I use windows 2000, but I'm not
sure that matters.

Bram