Remote logon via XDMCP to Solaris and Linux

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Sep 13 18:23:00 GMT 2004

Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> Well, I don't have an ssh server installed or available neither on the
> Solaris or the Linkux host.
> And the only connection is through the desribed VPN tunnel and
> router/firewall.
> Therefore I tried wihthout ssh as follows (which I believe also is
> secure over a VPN tunnel):
>
> On Windows:
> startxin
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost remote_solaris_host

you can add the hostname to /etc/X0.hosts
This will always grant the host access

> rlogin remote_host
> setenv DISPLAY local_win_ip

setenv DISPLAY local_win_ip:0.0

> xterm&
>
> But still I got the error: Can't open display local_win_ip !?

> 2) An additonal question: 'xstartxwin.bat' open a small X window with
> small fonts. How and where is it possible to get larger fonts, possibly
> by using a configuration file for this startup?

man xterm

(see -fn and -fa option)

xterm -fn 12x24

> 3) And how to setup/get the national language (NO) keymap (æøå and ÆØÅ
>   keys enter nothing)?

the norwegian keymap was loaded according to the logfile.

> (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000414" (00000414)
> (--) Using preset keyboard for "Norwegian" (414), type "4"
> Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "no" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
> winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 637 482

Either the keymap is incomplete or you're suffering a problem with 8 bit
characters in bash. Check the FAQ. There is an entry about "umlauts" and
8 bit characters.

bye
        ago
NP: L'Âme Immortelle - 5 Jahre (Radio Version)
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723