Remote logon via XDMCP to Solaris and Linux

Terje J. Hanssen nteknikk@monet.no
Wed Sep 15 15:41:00 GMT 2004

Thomas Chadwick wrote:

 > Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

 >> I run "ipconfig" on the local Windows PC, which give me the current
IP (delievered from dhcp).
 >> Isn't that correct value to use?

> That's not the correct value for 2 reasons...
>
> 1) Because you're using a VPN to access the remote machine, it
> probably is separated from the rest of the 'net by a firewall. Try
> logging into the remote machine and pinging the local machine's IP
> address. Do you get a response?
>
> 2) Even if the remote machine could reach the local machine via the
> DHCP-assigned IP address, doing so would circumvent the VPN (the X
> traffic would go _around_ the VPN instead of _through_ it).
>
> You really need to talk to someone who is knowlegable about your VPN
> setup to help you figure out the IP address that's associated with the
> far-end of the VPN tunnel.

Yes, we have router/gateway device running a propritary firewall and
VPN. Inside that our corporate network use NAT. Though I also have
physical access to our router, I'll ask our ISP and router vendor about
the setup.

But just to clarify first:
When you say "figure out the IP address that's associated with the
far-end of the VPN tunnel";
you don't mean the iP address of the router itself?

Thanks,

Terje J. Hanssen