setting default xterm colors

Carlo Florendo list-subscriber@hq.astra.ph
Wed Apr 27 10:15:00 GMT 2005

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Does anyone know a way to set xterm colors without using the -bg and -fg
>>options all the time?    I know one way to do it would be to alias xterm
>>in bash_profile such that the command always includes the bg and fg
>>options every time it is invoked. Aliasing works for me but this is not
>>what I want.
>>

>man xterm lists a huge number of commandline options and their respective
>resources.
>-bg => background
>-fg => foreground
>
>These resources can either be set in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm*
>but these changes will get lost with the next xterm update or in ~/.Xdefaults
>You may also create a global file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources and import
>tzhe settings with
>
>xrdb -merge /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
>
>If you're using startx to start the xserver, it will automaticly read the settings
>from these files (in this order)
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
>$HOME/.Xdefaults
>
>The syntax of these files is the same as in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm*
>
>bye
>	ago

Thank you very much Alexander.  I have been very enlightened with your
posting.  :)

I've got a follow-up question:  I run startx and an xterm fires up.
That's no problem.   When I invoke another xterm from the xterm that
just started, I now get the proper background and foreground colors but
`ls -l' does not display color coded directory entries anymore on the
newly invoked xterm (It does display the colors from the xterm invoked
by startx, though).   Everything would work fine if I invoke `xterm -e
/bin/bash --login -i' since I've aliased ls to `ls --color=auto' in my
bash configuration file.  Is there any way to make my xterm understand
`ls --color-auto' without loading the shell configuration files (since
it's from my bash configuration that I set `ls --color-auto')?

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

Best Regards

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo