Running Commands with xterm -e

Paul Atzberger atzberg@rpi.edu
Wed Aug 10 12:45:00 GMT 2005

When using xterm to run a command such as:

    xterm -hold -e "man ls"

cygwin reports the error message:

   no absolute path found for shell : man ls

However, if the command is run with:
    xterm -hold -e man ls

everything appears to work fine.

I should mention that both of the commands above
worked fine in the past and that this problem has only
come about after I installed the latest version of cygwin
earlier this month.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has suggestions
of how to diagnose what the problem may be or how to
fix it.  I suspect it may have something to do with an
environment variable that xterm uses when resolving
strings such as "".  I have checked the $PATH
variable and even tried explicitly giving the
command /usr/bin/man without any improvement, so
the problem may be something else.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Best regards,
           Paul