high CPU load

Eric S. Johansson esj@harvee.org
Sat Aug 27 16:18:00 GMT 2005

Soong, SylokeJ wrote:
> My cygwin/x server processes are at 0% when not used.
> They are near 0% even when xwin is receiving lots of screen update from the
> solaris client running SAS.

that's impressive.  Before this problem started if I start getting any
number of updates, the CPU load would climb into the 20% range.  now, it
sits at 70% no matter what.

> My last cygwin update was two weeks ago.
> When was your last update and what were your updates?
>  (so that I know what to avoid updating).

beats the heck out of me.  I updated two days ago (24th) and I was just
doing a blanket update of everything.  I think the previous update was
somewhere in early to mid July.

what is really frustrating is that I don't know when the problem
started.  I use speech recognition and that usually consumes 80% of the
CPU whenever I'm talking.  By the way, it doesn't matter how fast the
CPU, speech recognition always consumes 80% of what ever is available.

then I noticed when using X, my recognition accuracy was going down and
the time to get some text from the recognizer was going up.  That's what
I investigated and found that X11 was consuming 60 to 70% of the CPU at
idle.  Unfortunately, the best I have to go on is flaky memory because I
was distracted doing another project at the time.  My best guess says
that it was sometime in the past two weeks that things went south.

I know I did some updates from Microsoft in that time but I don't
directly associate the problems with X and these updates.

I'm really sorry about being so vague but it's the best information I have.

> I am using XP/Pro on Dell Latitude P4 "centrino"(whatever is that?),
> where my xwin/wmaker is displayed on an external 2nd monitor at 1792x1344.
> Are you running wmaker, KDE or native ms windows manager?

native ms window manager.

> I had similar problems of high cpu before but I found that my anti-virus s/w
> was trying to check everything netbeans and cygwin was doing. I forgot how I
> took care of that. I did not shut any anti-virus process down.

well I don't run any antivirus on the system because it inevitably
interferes with speech recognition accuracy.  I occasionally run scans
but it's really a pita

the Windows firewall is completely turned off as well.

I fear solving this problem may involve erasing the disk and
reinstalling everything from windows on up.  ugh.

---eric