Icons

Joe Krahn jkrahn@nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 27 16:35:00 GMT 2005

Colin Harrison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Taskbar icons are a bit of a mess at the moment...background stripes have
> crept in (I think?) as a regression,
> compared with what I remember as to how they looked when first introduced.
> I'll see if I can find an old version to verify and then trawl CVS for
> clues.

Icon handling and formats changed a bit with WinXP, due to addition of
Alpha support. I made some changes in winmultiwindowicons.c. It was
trying to change window icons by changing the class icon, which (in my
experience) does not update the windows of that class. A better method
is to directly change window icons with WM_SETICON messages.

The current design is to make a new Window clas for every window. I
don't think this helps anything. I think the way to go is to make a
single window class for all X-managed windows, with the class icons
defined as the X logo. If one-class-per-window was done just for icons,
it doesn't work anyhow. Does anyone know of any reason not to use just
one class?

Joe Krahn