Icons

Joe Krahn jkrahn@nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 28 18:07:00 GMT 2005

Colin Harrison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The 'About' and 'Exit' windows have scruffy icons, for me.
> Better if  the 32 bit pixel icon is passed to Windows and it sorts it out!
> Probably because our X.ico is a load of junk?
>
> Yet another bodge patch achieves this:-
> Bit of a dog's dinner all round, proper rework of the icon stuff is needed,
> properly tested, this time.
> Perhaps we need to post the bitmap screen captures, somewhere, as the
> problems/fixes occur. A picture is worth a thousand words, and I don't speak
> fluent Microsoft techno-gobbledegook (nor want to :) ). I tried reading one
> of their huge books once and nearly lost the will to live!
>
> Colin Harrison

Yes, I have found that professionally written ramblings are just not as
good as the typical "incomplete works" of unpaid open-source coders. It
makes you appreciate the real advantage of open source. It's the only
way to really get the explicit details.

I worked through figuring out the details of Icons while writing code to
support icons via FLTK. WinXP added Alpha support, but the documentation
is (see above). So, I can probably fix this.

One thing I found is that some Bitmap data are 16-bit aligned and some
are 32-bit aligned. This is probably the source of horizontal line
patterns, which I suspect occur for any not-divisible-by-32 size.

Also, I have implemented icon-customization by WM_SETICON, with a single
global class for XWin windows. I think it is much cleaner than
multiple-class generation.

I also think it would be good to use window USER_DATA to flag whether
icons are global, or are local and should be destroyed when replaced.
Much cleaner than searching through global icons.

Some of the changes worth doing will also affect more than just the
multi-window mode. Question: given the MULTIWIN ifdef's, what WM methods
are lost when MULTIWIN is defined? Should it be a run-time option
instead of #ifdef'ed?

Joe