Multi-window design rationale

Kensuke Matsuzaki zakki@peppermint.jp
Tue Aug 30 11:39:00 GMT 2005

Joe Krahn wrote:
> Why is multi-window mode designed as an "internal window manager"
> instead of an external Win32-aware external WM? It seems to me that the
> advantages of an internal WM are no different from an internal WM on a
> normal X server.
>
> I think it would be less of a hack for an X-Client WM to make Win32
> calls than is having WM code embedded into X. Are there important
> reasons it was done differently?
>
> Joe

Probably your idea is right.

When I wrote multi-window mode, I don't know X extension mechanism.
So I embedded window manager into X server to send messages via internal
message queue.

Mwextwm enables an external wm. But it has some problem in
synchronization between X and Windows. Bug fix or redesign is needed.

  zakki
--
Kensuke Matsuzaki
mailto:zakki@peppermint.jp