Cygwin/X under XP fails to start only on 2nd User Account

Iain Campbell iain@hythe.net
Wed Aug 31 15:40:00 GMT 2005

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>>Start here:

>>>I suspect it's either a mount issue, or a permission one.  Seeing the
>>>output of "cygcheck -svr" will likely provide enough information to
>>>decide which one.  Please make sure you *attach* the output, rather
>>>than include it in-line.
>>>

>>Thanks, Igor. I've had a peek at the file (attached) and I'm none the
>>wiser :-)
>>

>The file you attached shows a lot of information about your system that's
>useful for those who know where to look -- saves asking a whole bunch of
>"thy this -- what do you see?" questions.
>
>According to the cygcheck output, your mounts look good (i.e., you've
>installed Cygwin "for all users").  The next step is to look at
>/tmp/XWin.log for the exact "fatal error" you get (you mentioned it was
>"non-specific", but didn't paste the exact message in).  You aren't trying
>to run the two X sessions (for the office account and the home one) at the
>same time, by any chance, are you?
>	Igor

Hi Igor,

I'm using the standard 'startxwin.bat', modified only to change
%CYGWIN_ROOT% from '\cygwin' to where my newest install was placed.

The dialog simply reports the following error:

    "A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit."

... followed by the usual build info and referral to /tmp/XWin.log

I'm attaching the XWin.log from both successful and unsuccessful attemps
to start Cygwin/X, each with an appropriate filename suffix.

To answer your question: I never use XP's 'Switch User' option. I'm only
ever using one instance of Cygwin/X at a time.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I had an older version of Cygwin/X
installed prior to the weekend (in the '\cygwin' directory) and this
used to work fine on both accounts. Though, back then, neither account
was password-protected. This time around, I have sshd running
(perfectly) as a XP service and I've obviously decided that password
might be an idea :-) so I set them up using the 'passwd' command rather
than using the Windows Control Panel. On the surface, it seems to be
fine but I don't know whether or not it could be contributing to my
woes, so I think it might be worth a mention.

Best,
Iain.