XDMCP and Kerio Personal Firewall

Angus Veitch s368121@student.uq.edu.au
Thu Dec 29 00:41:00 GMT 2005

Hello All,

A while back I had some problems getting XDMCP working between Win XP
and Ubuntu.  The Ubuntu login screen loaded successfully, but upon
logging in all I got was a blank brown screen.  I've recently figured
out that the problem all along was Kerio Personal Firewall, which was
running at the Windows end.  Apparently other users also have found that
Kerio is somehow incompatible with XDMCP, even when an appropriate
filter rule has been defined.

I switched to another firewall (Jepico) and XDMCP now works beautifully
with Cygwin/X.

I just thought I'd report this in case other Kerio users have
experienced the same problem and haven't suspected the firewall as the
cause.

Cheers.