launch server x without startx command

Arturus Magi sailorleo@hotpop.com
Thu Feb 17 08:27:00 GMT 2005

Alexis Cothenet wrote:

> I have seen http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-01/msg00476.html (
> tried with my own ip)
> but it doesn't work for me.
> i'm working with tcsh shell.
> Maybe there is a place where i could launch the startx script ?

I took a slightly different route that either of those posters did.  The
end result should be the same, but it's still worth a try, since you
seem to be able to run startx once you have a POSIX shell.

My system has c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin at the end of
$PATH$, and I simply stuck a shortcut to 'sh startx' in the default
user's startup folder.  As long as startx works on your system, this
should too, since it's simply automating the invocation of the startx
shell script.

This should work in user-specific environment variables and startup
folders too, and if you don't want to edit your Windows path variable,
prefixing the Windows path to bin/sh to the shortcut should produce the
same end result as well.