Displaying remote Xclients without server window

Stephan Wehner stephanwehner@gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:46:00 GMT 2005

I'm thinking about setting up an X server on a Windows machine without
the server window itself.

I want an xterm running on the remote (e.g. Linux) machine to be
visible on my local machine as its own window, which can be moved
around, minimized, resized etc. on the Windows machine just like any
other Windows application window. Then, if I run e.g. ghostview in
that xterm, the new window appears on my Windows machine. In addition,
these remotely running windows show up separately on my Windows
taskbar. Plus, available remote applications appear in the Windows
Start Menu automagically, and when launched run on the remote machine,
but display on the Windows machine. (The user sees no difference,
except maybe for authentication)

Is it already possible with existing (cygwin) code? Or other packages?

Stephan