read bug in Cygwin xterm window only

Jason Curl j.m.curl@optusnet.com.au
Sat Jun 11 14:50:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:22:08PM +0200, Jason Curl wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 05:54:35PM -0700, Peter Farley wrote:
>>
>>>The following program demonstrates what looks to me
>>>like a bug in the "read" function in an xterm (as
>>>opposed to a Cygwin console window).  To run the test,
>>>compile with:
>>>
>>>gcc -g -o xtermbug.exe xtermbug.c
>>>
>>>When you run it in a console window, you can enter
>>>normal keyboard characters, then a return to see
>>>"cmdline=<what you typed>".  Press the Esc key to exit
>>>the program.
>>
>>Unfortunately I'm seeing exactly the same problem too, and have so for
>>some time. I've also noticed that a read() giving a particular length
>>will ignore the length field and actually read more data in some cases.
>

> Peter provided a test case which I used to diagnose a problem with
> Cygwin.  I fixed the problem and released a new version of cygwin which
> fixed the problem so it is unlikely that this is exactly the same
> problem.
>
> Please provide a simple test case which shows your specific problem.
>
> And, also please provide the details mentioned at
> http://cygwin.com/problems.html .

Sure - I'll start a new post for this as you mention it may be
different. By the way, what version was it fixed in?

I just confirmed that I'm using cygwin 15-11 (rather old then I think)
and the problem exists. I'm upgrading to 15-16 now, and will later test
it with 15-17 when I have a better internet connection.