always-on-top bug

Jack Tanner ihok@hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:01:00 GMT 2005

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>The splashscreen of an app being displayed over ssh X11 forwarding stays
>>on top of other windows instead of going to background when I select a
>>Windows window. Normally, I would've never noticed this since
>>splashscreens usually whiz by, but I was on a slow connection, and this
>>was very noticeable.
>
> Was this in multiwindow mode, or in rootless/rooted mode?  If the former,
> then AFAIU this is expected behavior -- the windows are managed by the

Yes, this was in multiwindow mode. But multiwindow mode doesn't use the
internal Windows window manager, does it? I had thought it used an
emulation of it that tried to be as similar as possible.

A native Windows OpenOffice.org starts with a splashscreen that I can
send to the background by clicking on a different window. An
X11-forwarded OOo starts with a splashscreen that stays on top no matter
what. Does this mean that the Windows OOo doesn't draw its splashscreen
with an always-on-top instruction?