Cannot connect to a Sun server using xterm

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon May 2 10:33:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, a12 wrote:

> Hello X users,
>
> I access a Sun server using:
> XWin.exe -query <sun-host>
> I login, and start an application in the Sun server correctly.
>
> When I start xterm using startxwin.bat, and then I start xterm to a Sun
> server using:
> xterm -e /bin/telnet <sun-host> &
> I get a new xterm window from the Sun server, and I login to the Sun
> server correctly.
> Then I start a graphical application in the Sun server, and I get the
> following error:
> *** OI_init: Error, cannot connect to X server
> ntc: couldn't open a connection to a X server
>
> What have I missed ?

telnet does know nothing about the xserver. Use ssh instead.

xterm -e ssh -Y <sun-host> &

This will connect using the secure ssh protocol and tunnel all X11
traffic thought the ssh connection. If this does not work check the
FAQ entries about ssh connections

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding

bye
	ago