good .Xdefaults

Jack Tanner ihok@hotmail.com
Sat May 7 16:48:00 GMT 2005

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> The colors are defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb
> If the file is not installed, broken or somehow the xserver tries to use
> a different file then the colors are not defined.

I have a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt. I also created a symbolic link,
rgb->rgb.txt.

> showrgb should print a lot of entries if everything is ok.

It does.

$ showrgb | grep black
   0   0   0             black

Still, I get Warning: Color name "black" is not defined.

Attention Thomas Dickey: By the way, there's a wrap-around error when
that message is printed; it double-backs onto itself. TERM=xterm, latest
Xorg, xterm, and terminfo.

Despite the warning, the colors do take effect! That is, my .Xdefaults
contains
xterm*Foreground: white
xterm*Background: black

and the xterm gets the colors appropriately, although when it just
starts, the background is washed white, and only turns to black after I
do /usr/bin/clear.