Opening CDE Through Telnet

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun May 15 10:55:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Simon Keen wrote:

> I'm using cygwin/x on Windows 2000 to access an HP-UX server. I wish to
> use the CDE, which I currently achieve with the following:
>
>  - run startxwin.bat from Windows explorer;
>
>  - xhost <HP hostname>
>  - telnet <HP hostname>
>  - DISPLAY=<win hostname>:0.0
>  - export DISPLAY
>  - /usr/dt/bin/dtsession
>
> This promptly pops up the CDE, but I feel it is a little clunky.
>
> I am using this roundabout way as I am going through a firewall and
> have access only for Telnet (port 23). Is it possible to access the
> HP-UX server in a way that direclty pops-up the CDE with its logon box?
> (incidently, I can do this when I'm on the other side of the firewall
> using "xwin -query <HP hostname>, but this hangs from my current
> location).

XDMCP is very sensible with firewalls and network address translation.
Unless you know exactly how XDMCP works and adjust the firewalls accordingly
it is unlikely to get XDMPC working across firewalls.

You may (and should bacause of security reasons) use ssh with X11Forwarding
instead.

DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 ssh -Yf <HP hostname> /usr/dt/bin/dtsession

If this does not work, check the FAQ about common problems.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de