Popups popping through windows using built-in rootless WM

Sven Hammarling sven@nag.co.uk
Fri May 20 09:23:00 GMT 2005

Nappi Chris-ra5809 wrote:
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>I have noticed that pop-up help balloons exhibit one or two problems >>(depending on the program) when using the built-in rootless WM:
>>>
>>>Some balloons to not go to the background when a Windows window is >>brought to the front.
>>>
>>>Other balloons actually come to the front when the mouse is over the >>object that creates them *through a Windows window*.
>>>
>>>I should note that the applications I am seeing this with are running on >>Solaris - I don't have any native Cygwin apps that have pop-up balloons.
>

>>What programs are these? Is the problem reproducable with common
>>windowing toolkits like KDE, GTK, Xt or Motif?
>

>>Otherwise it will be hard to determine how to fix this.
>

> The programs I am using are Debussy (a silicon design tool which appears to be C/Motif?) and a proprietary Perl/TK program.
>
> Luckily I found that the balloon.pl demo for Tk located in:
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8/cygwin/Tk/demos/widtrib
> exhibits the problem.
>
> Launch that demo, look at where the "Menu button" button is, put IE(or whatever) in front and place the mouse over where the menu button is.  You should get a popup saying "Press and hold this button...".
>
> I verified this works when the balloon.pl script is run under Cygwin or Solaris.
>
> Thanks!
> Chris Nappi

Just as a second example, I also get the popup balloons through native Windows
applications running 'XWin -multiwindow' on Windows XP SP2 with the Cygwin build
of Emacs - the mode line menu shows through.

Sven Hammarling.