setxkbd: Error loading new keyboard description.

Steve Ramage cygwinspammedme@sjrx.net
Wed Nov 2 08:56:00 GMT 2005

SJr@galios /usr/X11R6/bin
$ setxkbmap.exe dvorak
Error loading new keyboard description

SJr@galios /usr/X11R6/bin
$ man setxkbmap
Unrecognized line in config file (ignored)
KNROFF          /usr/bin/groff -Tkorean -mandoc
Unrecognized line in config file (ignored)
KNEQN           /usr/bin/eqn -Tkorean
No manual entry for setxkbmap

SJr@galios ~
$ setxkbmap de -model pc105
Error loading new keyboard description

The rules file exists in /etc/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb. When I try to run with -print I get:

$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc/pc(pc105)+pc/dvorak"        };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
};

But I'm still stuck in qwerty mode. I also tried editing the
-xkblayout startup flag but there are no errors or anything.

I also tried using -rules to load the file but it always said it
couldn't load the rules file. I even copied the one off my debian box,
that would load there and that didn't work, also for kicks tried
dos2unix, and unix2dos but no luck.

I was just about out of luck, when I read the manual and found that
the following will load dvorak (after printing errors):
xkbcomp -w 3 -xkm -m dvorak /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86.

Its very tedious to have to type that out in qwerty, what seems to be
the problem?