changes in monitor resolution

Roger Levy rlevy@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 11:03:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

I use Cygwin/X on my laptop all the time, and I often switch back and
forth between my XGA laptop display and an SXGA external monitor.  (I
use startxwin.bat to start the X server.)  What I find is that when I
start xwin while my laptop display is active, and then switch to the
external monitor, nothing displaying through X is visible on the bottom
and right-hand sides of the display.  I assume that this is because
startxwin.bat detected my monitor resolution as XGA and so configured
its resolution as 1024x768, and doesn't automatically resize when I
switch displays.  I can fix this by closing the X server and then
restarting it, but then I have to close all my X clients too.

Is there a way to either (a) automatically start X with SXGA resolution,
or (b) manually resize X after I switch monitors, without restarting it?

Many thanks,

Roger Levy