port existing x windows application to win32

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux@mediaxim.be
Thu Nov 10 15:14:00 GMT 2005

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 10 12:15, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>
>>Thomas Dickey wrote:

>>>hmm - that argument would make ncurses GPL, which is not only absurd.
>>>but a lot of other nasty implications.
>>>
>>>so your statement can be disregarded.
>>>

>>I assume you refer to the cygwin FAQ:
>>
>>"11.3. What license applies to Cygwin source code?
>>
>>Cygwin source code is licensed under a modified version of the GNU GPL.
>>Cygwin's license modification specifically allows third-party software
>>under an open source license to be linked with Cygwin without requiring
>>that the source code for the third-party software be distributed under
>>the terms of the GNU GPL. Cygwin's developers went to great trouble to
>>obtain this modification and should be thanked for doing so, as without
>>it the modification, Cygwin/X linking to Cygwin would be the subject of
>>endless discussion."
>>
>>But I am not sure it can be applied to a situation where you have a
>>*closed source* application linking to the X client library which itself
>>requires cygwin1.dll.
>

> A proprietary application linked against any library which itself
> links against cygwin1.dll is itself linked against cygwin1.dll and
> therefore must either in turn be released under an open source license,
> or you can purchase a buyout license from Red Hat.  That's described
> on http://cygwin.com/licensing.html and the page also contains contact
> information.
>

> HTH,
> Corinna

So, I was right (rather than 'disregardable'). And that's from the
horse's mouth, so to speak. Which brings back my query: is there a free
but not GPL version of the X client libraries for Win32?

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director

Mediaxim NV/SA