port existing x windows application to win32

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux@mediaxim.be
Mon Nov 14 09:43:00 GMT 2005

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 10 11:19, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>>

>>>So, I was right (rather than 'disregardable'). And that's from the horse's
>>>mouth, so to speak. Which brings back my query: is there a free but not
>>>GPL version of the X client libraries for Win32?
>>
>>rofl
>>
>>I have a better suggestion: since you don't understand any of the
>>issues involved, perhaps you have some fellow employee who can
>>understand the difference between cygwin's dll and libraries that
>>may be distributed with it.
>

> I'm really wondering what you're up to.  Michel's choice of words might
> be a bit unlucky, but it's a fact that his application will become GPL
> (or another compatible OSS license of choice), if he links it to the
> Cygwin/X client libs.  This is obviously not a result of the X libs
> being GPLed, but a result of the fact that the Cygwin/X libs in turn
> require to link against the cygwin1.dll, or in other words, linking
> against Cygwin/X client libs will make the application a Cygwin
> application.
>
> So the question is still valid and was from the beginning, minus choice
> of words.
>
> However, this question is obviously off-topic for this list since this
> is the Cygwin/X list, not a native Win32 X list.  So please move your
> question to another, more appropriate forum, Michel.

The thread has largely moved to the question of whether the cygwin port
of X client libs is GPL-viral or not, which would be more on-topic if
there was not a specific cygwin list for licensing issues.

It has also become about whether I'm clueless, and I dont like to leave
such a topic unattended but experience on the net has told me that a
disdainful silence is often best :-). So, I'll follow your advice and
move on!

> Maybe you could start here: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming

Thanks for the tip. However, reviewing the thread it seems to me that
since I specified "free beer not mandatory", the RH buyout license might
be a solution. So I will contact a local RH reseller.

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director

Mediaxim NV/SA