How to have more than one X display?

Joe Krahn jkrahn@nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 2 18:43:00 GMT 2005

Soong, SylokeJ wrote:
> Whom should I ask to modify XWin.exe to allow appending
> screens after the X server has started?

This is more of a general X server problem, having been established
before the idea of hot-pluggable screens. There is no stadard way to add
or remove screens in the X11 protocol. Even resizing an existing screen
is a new feature for X. In Reflection, is the 2nd screen 'live' but not
always visible?

But, why have two actual screens instead of one large virtual screen?
If you don't want to lose your WIn32 desktop space, why not go rootless
or MultiWIndow mode?

If you want the X desktop space, it would probably be possible to use
RANDR to allow dynamic resizing of one screen to fill one or both Win32
Displays.

Joe