MultiWindow versus MWExtWM

Joe Krahn jkrahn@nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 16:46:00 GMT 2005

billh wrote:
> Any discussion of internal vs external window management cannot take
> place without acknowledging the fact that we are talking about XWindows
> operating within another window system, Cygwin/X.  The immediate fact
> here is that any action that a window manager takes that is synchronous
> to the actions of the clients, such as on an xterm resize, when the
> window manager may inforce an incremental sizing based on the character
> width  or heighth has to be handled in the window proc of the X server
> running as a Windows client, otherwise the sequence of events cannot be
> the same as in a native X Windows environment.  In the case of window
> resizing, the first order solution has the window being resized to any
> arbitrary size by the Windows window system, and then a second event
> where an external window manager would resize the window to a size based
> on window hints registered with the X Window system.  Though this can
> happen very quickly, there are always side effects typically  in older
> programs that are perhaps more reliant on past behavior of X and even in
> some cases certain window managers.
>   Okay, I'll fess up.  I used to work for WRQ on the ReflectionX
> server.  We found that in fact there were financial reasons, meaning
> enough customers, to support both approaches.  Some customers wanted a
> more Windows centric look and feel and some needed for compatibility
> reasons an X window manager.
I'm not trying to discuss Win32 WM-proxy versus a true X Window Manager.
I'm simply comparing how the Win32 WM is implemented. I think most
people would prefer using the Win32 WM, if there were no compatibilty
problems. (BTW: what types of compatibilyt problems were there?)

What I am aiming toward is Windows-managed windows, but proxied in a way
that works more like a native X window manager. This means that most of
the WndProc handling needs to be handled by "Window Manager" code.
That's why I suggested WndProc Hooking.

> I ported GWM to our environment and my associate Kyle went through the
> ICCCM documents and made our Windows management mode honor all of that
> documents guidelines for window management.   This gave us both modes at
> the flip of a switch in the control interface gui.   For a commercial
> product, we could justify both.
My idea is that WndProc hooking can allow you to turn the internal WM on
or off by adding/removing WndProc hooks (or possibly internal "hooks".)

I'm just suggesting that using the external WM approach will simplify
the code; it's rather messy right now.