Grey screen problem

Ken Dibble kdibble@alltel.net
Tue Sep 13 20:03:00 GMT 2005

>On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:20:09PM -0400, Francois Couillard wrote:
> I'm using windows 2000 to connect to a Debian Sarge server.
>
> Using Cygwin, I'm typing xwin -query myip to connect to my Debian
> server. Theres only a grey screen that appears with an 'x' cursor. I
> also tried xwin -query hostip -from clientip without success.
>
> The .log says: Could not init font path element
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from list.
>
> Looking at the FAQ, they say to
> Open a Cygwin shell and run *umount /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts*.
>
> When I type this, it just says "theres no such file or directory" even
> though it exists.
>
> I reinstalled the font components and it didn't work
>
> I can connect with my server using ssh without problem.
>
> Someone got the same problem on the mailing list at
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-03/msg00017.html
>
> So I checked the FAQ, the mailing list and even the #cygwin room on MIRC
> and can't find a decent answer.

On the debian box, does the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config contain
a line that says:

X11Forwarding yes

and does the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf contain

Enable=true

Additionally you cannot login as root if
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf contains the default line of

AllowRoot=false

Before changing any of the default settings it is a good
idea to read about X security and understand the implications
of what you are changing.

Regards,
Ken