Emacs problem after rebaseall: some progresses?

Fri Sep 16 17:09:00 GMT 2005

Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> After the new release of rebase-2.4-1, the problem remains
>
>                            BUT
>
> this time reinstalling, with "setup", ONLY the
> package libncurses7 (whose current release is 5.3-4),
> EMACS works again!
>
> Rebasing all and then reinstalling a package that has just rebased :
> is it a valid procedure?

Sure, this is fine.

But what you're really saying is that one of the dlls in libncurses7
used by xemacs

/usr/bin/cygform7.dll
/usr/bin/cygmenu7.dll
/usr/bin/cygncurses7.dll
/usr/bin/cygpanel7.dll

is not rebase-able.  I'm not clear on the history; there was a time when
a number of DLLs were considered "not rebase-able" but I don't remember
why, or whether the issue was ever fixed (in rebase.exe, or in the DLLs
themselves).

*I* wonder, if xemacs were rebuilt against the CURRENT ncurses libraries
(libncurses8), would it still have similar problems -- e.g. would you
need to rebaseall and then reinstall libncursesEIGHT?

If so, it's a problem I need to track down, as the ncurses maintainer.
If not, then the XEmacs maintainer should simply release a new version,
recompiled against the new ncurses.

--
Chuck