Page Up and Page Down

Thomas Dickey dickey@his.com
Fri Sep 16 18:46:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Mike Hicks wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have what appears to be a plain US 104-key keyboard manufactured
> by/for Compaq.  Using xterm, when I press the Pg Up key on the number
> keypad, I get the character sequence ^[[5~ and I get ^[[6~ for Pg Dn
> (^[ is actually a single character, escape).  However, the Page Up and
> Page Down keys in that middle section between the number pad and main
> keyboard area produce different sequences, ^[Or and ^[Ou respectively.
> On my Linux box at home, I believe xterm always produces ^[[5~ and
> ^[[6~

It sounds like your Linux system is running Redhat.  I get lots of
complaints about that (for instance earlier today ;-). For quite a while
(I'm told it was corrected in Fedora) their package for xterm alters most
of the key translations, lobotomizing it to look like someone's
improvement to old xterm.

A quick check on my system shows it producing \EOH and \EOF
(though the correct answer depends on the resource settings of course).

> I also use PuTTYcyg [http://gecko.gc.maricopa.edu/~medgar/puttycyg/]
> to use the Cygwin command line (since the Windows Command Prompt
> window royally sucks).  It produces ^[[5~ and ^[[6~ for everything.

;-)

> (By the way, if you're at a command prompt, you can see what the shell
> is seeing by typing ^V prior to pressig the key.)
>
> Anyway, I've looked through the app-defaults for xterm, and haven't
> found anything obvious, so this must be hidden somewhere else.  I'm
> not aware of anything I might have changed to cause this to happen.
> It is problematic, since vim expects the sequence produced by the
> keypad buttons, rather than the ones produced by the middle keys.
> TERM is set to 'xterm' in both xterm and PuTTYcyg.

Actually vim can use the termcap/terminfo settings (though I understand it
has a built-in copy of one of the flavors for "xterm").

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net