Basic question X - whatever

Herbert Eppel Herb@gmxpro.net
Wed Sep 28 17:52:00 GMT 2005

On 28.09.2005 18:04 UK Time, Soong, SylokeJ wrote:
> With the clipboard enabled, do you know how to highlight, copy & paste

Nice subject line - I'm not really sure why I started this "Basic
Question no." nonsense - it was bound to lead to confusion, sorry!

> between win/xp and cygwin? I think that is his intent.
>
> Microsoft(which you know):
> copy is by selecting then ctrl-c or menu-copy.
> paste is by ctrl-v or menu-paste.
>
> Motif & cygwin:
> Selecting text would spontaneously
> (some people might prefer the term, automatically)
> copy into clipboard.
> Paste is by middle button click.

Thanks for explain this. It's embarrassing, but I wasn't aware of the
different behaviour :-[

> e.g. copying from MS to Cyg:
> copy text from MS win, move cursor to cyg window and press/release middle
> button.
> Conversely from cyg to MS:
> select text at cyg win, move mouse to MS win and ctrl-v.
> Voila!
>
> However, if you don't have a middle mouse button, or you had mapped that
> button to do something else, you could use -emulate3buttons option
> which would require you to press both mouse buttons together to emulate
> the middle button.

I do have the scroll wheel button assigned to double click, and I would
like to keep that setting, which raises the question of where exactly I
would have to specify -emulate3buttons (is it simply another command
line option after startx?) and what you mean by "both mouse buttons" -
do you mean left and right?

Thanks

Herbert Eppel
--