TCP/IP Security Limits - WinXP and XWIN.exe

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Aug 16 09:05:00 GMT 2006

René Berber wrote:
> XWin only opens a couple of connections, with ssh -X it's only one connection.

XWin opens no connection (except for xdmcp). It's a server and will only
react on incoming connections.

The error results from a program which tries to open many connections at
a time (SYN request). these connections must be acknowledged by the
receiving end (SYN,ACK reply). as long as this reply was not received,
the connection is in a half-open state. Windows XP does only allow 10 of
these half-open connections. File sharing programs or worms which try to
send mass mail may cause this problem. I don't see any reason why XWin
would cause this behaviour.