Lots of Vista32 problems

Michael J. Wheeler mwheeler@pittstate.edu
Wed Dec 6 21:54:00 GMT 2006

OK, I've been working on this problem for several days now and I'm about
ready to give up all together. I'm really hoping someone can help me out. I
used cygwin for years on XP and now that I've moved to Vista, I can't get
anything to work.

Whenever I try to run /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat , it crashes. I have
created a stackdump and put it here:
https://go.pittstate.edu/mjw/cygwin.strace . I was told to rebaseall and
that didn't work. I also tried rebasing to a different address, then back
to the default -- still nothing.

Next, I was told to try to rebuild the current cygwin package. That fails
on make install every time (collect2.exe). After that, I tried building the
latest snapshot... Now configure fails near the beginning when it's testing
to see if gcc works. The only way I've seen to get around that is to do a
full reinstall.. but that's kind of frustrating waiting for 2 hours to
reinstall everything.

Basically I'm at my wits end and I really hope somebody can help before I
give up on being able to use cygwin on Vista...

--
Michael J. Wheeler
Senior System Administrator

--
Rap's Law of Inanimate Reproduction:
If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,