Fluxbox and Xwin --rootless

Guillaume Drolet guillaume.drolet.1@ulaval.ca
Fri Dec 8 17:24:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I used to have Fluxbox as my window manager on my Linux sytems and I
love it. I recently started to use Fluxbox as my WM in Cygwin/X but I'd
like to do to things and I didn't find how so far:

1- I start Fluxbox using xinit, where my ~./xinitrc file has contains
"exec startfluxbox" at the end of the script. This way the xserver
starts fullscreen with Fluxbox as my WM. What I would like to do here is
to remove all borders around the root window (i.e. the fullscreen
window), along with the window title in the top border. Does anybody
know how I can do this?

2- What I would like better is to have fluxbox started with no root
window. So far, I got to do this by startiung Fluxbox with the startx
command, in which I  chnged the line "defaultserverargs="-multiwindow
-clipboard" for "defaultserverargs="-rootless". There are 2 things I
don't like about this way: 1) I need to start Fluxbox manually from an
xterm once the Cygwin/X environment has started, and 2) I don't have
access to the Fluxbox contextual menus that are usually accessed through
the mouse right button.

I would appreciate any suggestions that will make my use of Cygwin/X and
Fluxbox more pleasant.

Thanks a lot,

Guillaume Drolet