Windows programs in Cygwin/X ?

Reid Thompson reid.thompson@ateb.com
Tue Feb 28 12:47:00 GMT 2006

Doug Bohl wrote:
> After much turmoil, I've managed to get a number of window managers
> running in Cygwin/X.  What I'm wondering is this:  Is it at all
> possible to allow my windows programs to be managed by my Cygwin/X
> window manager?  Presently, if I'm in -fullscreen mode and I'm running
> some X programs, I'd have to alt+tab out of X and into explorer.
>
> If this isn't possible, what would I have to do to make it possible?
> Maybe write an X program to 'trap' the window of a Windows program
> into an invisible X window.  Or something like that.
>
> --

there a various ways to run the X server in cygwin.
Read the comments in and then try altering /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh
to meet your needs.  For example....

---snip---

XWin -rootless -clipboard -silent-dup-error &

# Startup an xterm, using bash as the shell.

xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l &
rxvt -e /usr/bin/bash -l &

#
# Startup the twm window manager.
# WARNING: Do not use an external window manager in conjunction with
# the ``-multiwindow'' command-line parameter for XWin.  Doing so
# would start two window managers, which is never supposed to happen.
#

# twm &
wmaker &