Running Cygwin on multi-user Windows XP - A fix

Tom Legbandt legbandt@ee.ccny.cuny.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:02:00 GMT 2006

This alone does not solve the problem.  The error appears
/*incorrectly*/ to be associated with the command line:

X:0 -multiwindow -clipboard

and in the /tmp/XWin  file (log file), the last lines contain:

~~~~~snip~~~~~
winClipbaordProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.
WinProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
WinProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
WinMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR:  BadWindow (invalid window
parameter)
WinMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR:  BadWindow (invalid window
parameter)
WinMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR:  BadWindow (invalid window
parameter)
winClipboardProc - Call to select () failed: -1. Bailing.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
~~~~~end snip~~~~~

But the real problem is that the file extension for cygwin/tmp/XWin is
missing (or is .txt) upon installation.
Why this works under an administrative account is puzzling to me.  When
the file is renamed as cygwin/tmp/XWin.*log*, in addition to the change
to startxwin.bat noted below, the program launches correctly.

/Tom

> Syloke J Soong wrote:
>
> google:
> cygwin xp non-administrator account
>
> result:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-02/msg00009.html

Archived Thread from Paul Griffith was:

This problem has been solved in the mailing archive. Here is snip from
my modified startxwin.bat file.

-------snip----

REM
REM Cleanup after last run.
REM

REM Mount local user %TEMP% as /tmp
mount -f -u -t "%TEMP%" /tmp

if not exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0 goto CLEANUP-FINISH
attrib -s %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0

The solution is to mount the users own tmp directory as /tmp for
CygwinX.

--
Tom Legbandt
NOAA-CREST Center