Unable to connect via XDMCP to VMWare/Fedora Core 5

Jochen Wiedmann jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 00:06:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am running a Windows XP host with CygWin/X. On the same host I have
a VMWare instance with Fedora Core 5. I'd like to connect to GDM via
XDMCP.

Things I did on the FC 5 guest:

  - Disabled iptables
  - Enabled remote login and debugging messages via gdmsetup

On the windows host, I am entering

  XWin -query 192.168.1.129

where 192.168.1.129 is the guests IP address and .128 is the Windows
hosts. In Ethereal, I can watch the following packet sequence:

  XDMCP Manage
  XDMCP Willing
  XDMCP Request
  XDMCP Manage
  XDMCP Manage
  XDMCP Manage
  XDMCP Manage

but apparently nothing else. The gdm log can be found below. Any
ideas, what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Jochen

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.