xmgrace fails to start

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Fri Jul 21 21:30:00 GMT 2006

Volker Quetschke wrote:
> This is an X problem, redirecting to the correct ml.
>
> Charles L. Werner wrote:
>> (snip)
> Yes, reproducible. But not cygwin1.dll is the culprit but xorg
> 6.8.99.901-1.
>
> I updated the cygwin installation to the latest and greatest except
> the xorg packages and xmgrace still ran.
>
> After updating xorg-x11-* from 6.8.2.0-1 to 6.8.99.901-1 I get exactly
> the behavior you describe.

As Charles L. Werner wrote in a different thread even after downgrading
X again to 6.8.2 the problem remains. :(

And the "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction" or similar
popup has nothing to do with symbolic links. Try this:

$ cd /usr/grace/bin/

$ strace ./xmgrace.exe

and you'll get a popup.

I tried gdb, but:

$ gdb ./xmgrace.exe
GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060706-cvs (cygwin-special)
(snip)
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...(no debugging symbols found)

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/grace/bin/xmgrace.exe

Error: dll starting at 0x771000 not found.

---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

Program exited with code 030000000005.
You can't do that without a process to debug.

that doesn't help much either. Over the weekend I'll build a xmgrace
version with debug information. Maybe that helps.

   Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D