STARTXWIN.BAT Hanging Under Win2KPro

Lionel B lionelbuk@yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 10 18:08:00 GMT 2006

Douglas J. Renze wrote:
> The subject says it all.
>
> STARTXWIN.BAT is hanging on the startup under Win2KPro.  If I run it,
>  it will stall out - I can't right-click on the X icon in the system
> tray to bring up the menu, and when I examine the processes, it
> appears that XWin.exe is running, as well as an xterm.exe process,
> but no XTerm ever pops up.
>
> If I kill the process, then start it up *again*, everything pops up
> just fine.
>
> Ideas?  If this is something that somebody has encountered before, a
> simple pointer in the right direction would do just fine.

Greetings,

had the same thing (also Win2K Pro). On failure to start, XWin.log
revealed the following (which was not present on a successful restart):

(EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Googling turned up the following:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-08/msg00072.html

Reading to the bottom, the "fix" suggested is to copy the directory
/etc/X11/xkb to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb. This does appear to solve the
problem in my case.

I note that on my setup /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb would normally be just a
soft link to /etc/X11/xkb ...

--
Lionel B