UK keyboard layout

Phil Reynolds phil@tinsleyviaduct.com
Sat Jun 24 10:18:00 GMT 2006

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 08:58:54PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:
> Phil Reynolds wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:38:15AM +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> >>I am trying to get Cygwin/X to support the UK keyboard layout, but
> >>cannot work out what it is I need to do.
> >>
> >>The XWin.log shows the following lines:
> >>

> >>(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000809" (00000809)
> >>(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (United Kingdom)" (809), type
> >>"4"
> >>(EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> >>
> >>I figure I must have a package missing, but do not know which it is. Can
> >>anyone please advise me what it is I am missing?
> >
> >... and yes, I have tried the FAQ.
> >

> OK.  Then perhaps you can elaborate on why they following category of FAQ
> entries aren't sufficient for you to solve your problem:
>
> <http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#i18n-keyboard>

Well, if my local xterm was starting consistently I could... as it is, I
will have to fill in what I can for now.

As you can see, the error is that the XKB keymap cannot be loaded.

I have tried fetching one over from another machine, but I cannot tell
where to put it - hence no go.

As for the setxkbmap (or similar) command listed, it gives an error
(can't tell you what at the moment, local xterm did not start this
time), and on checking, /tmp is mounted binary - I did try remounting it
too - still no go.

I will elaborate further as soon as I next get a local xterm running.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil@tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95