Problem Starting X-Windows -- Problem solved?

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Mon Mar 6 16:04:00 GMT 2006

On 03/06/2006, Bill Page wrote:
> I have also seen the same Cygwin/startx problem that Dean C. Tsai reported
> on 15 Feb 2006, and I have found the same workaround, killing the sh.exe
> process that's hogging the CPU. I don't know what's causing it, either.
 >
> I tried the latest suggestion, renaming sh.exe before running startx, but I
> got an immediate error message "bad interpreter: No such file or directory"
> and the $ prompt, with no X window and no Winit or x* processes running.
 >
> I, like wonder_6908, have McAfee Privacy Service running -- but when I
> disabled it, the problem remained. I also disabled the rest of the McAfee
> Security Center -- VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, and SpamKiller. The
> problem remained.

Typically, when McAffee and Norton cause problems, it is not sufficient to
just disable them.  You have to uninstall them to make a real test.  So
McAfee still may be getting in your way and the root cause of this problem
for you.  If you have the option, you may want to consider uninstalling it
it and repeating the test.

Holliston, MA 01746