How to run _X_ Session from RH8 via ssh -X?

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Sat Mar 18 18:54:00 GMT 2006

Brett Serkez wrote:
>> But now I just realized the obvious: Only X GUIS work and not windows.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>
> Yes!
>
>> I assume I can tunnel rdesktop the same way I tunnel vnc? I guess I'll try
>> tunneling both vnc and rdesktop  next.
>
> I've heard this works, but have not tried personally.  If you get this
> working, can you post your ssh command with the port(s) you needed to
> forward?

I used to use the following all the time to access my Windows machine
remotely:

ssh -f -L 5901:localhost:5900 -N -C -o Compression=yes -o CompressionLevel=9
<machine name or ip>
vncviewer &

YMMV.

Obviously, you need to make sure that the port ssh is using is open
through any firewall.

None of this is really Cygwin-specific so further discussion on this l
list along this line is really off-topic though.

Holliston, MA 01746