How to run VNC thru ssh (openssh question)

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Tue Mar 21 00:45:00 GMT 2006

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
>> I used to use the following all the time to access my Windows machine
>> remotely:
>
>> ssh -f -L 5901:localhost:5900 -N -C -o Compression=yes -o
>> CompressionLevel=9
>> <machine name or ip>
>> vncviewer &
>
>> YMMV.
>
>> Obviously, you need to make sure that the port ssh is using is open
>> through any firewall.
>
>> None of this is really Cygwin-specific so further discussion on this l
>> list along this line is really off-topic though.
>
> Hmmmm... I hope that is not true. I hope this is on topic because I think it
> is an issue with installing ssh. I get the following error when I try the
> command above:
>
> No matching comp found: client zlib server none,zlib@openssh.com
>
> I tried leaving off the -o and compression flags, but this did not help. I
> got the same error until I removed the -C and then it did not even give me
> an error message (and still did not work).

It is off-topic because there is nothing Cygwin-specific about the process to
getting this working.  So unless you can point to how this works on some
other platform and not on Cygwin, you need to find a good book, site, or
forum for ssh tunneling information.  Consulting the man page is a good start
if you haven't already.

I don't know what lines you typed to get the above error but I'm guessing from
the error you typed:

ssh -f -L 5901:localhost:5900 -N -C -o Compression=yes -o CompressionLevel=9
zlib@openssh.com

I can't reproduce your issue.  When I try it, it tells me:

ssh: connect to host openssh.com port 22: Connection timed out

Holliston, MA 01746