How to run VNC thru ssh (openssh question)

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Mar 21 15:00:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> >I used to use the following all the time to access my Windows machine
> >remotely:
>
> >ssh -f -L 5901:localhost:5900 -N -C -o Compression=yes -o
> >CompressionLevel=9
> ><machine name or ip>
> >vncviewer &
>
> >YMMV.
>
> >Obviously, you need to make sure that the port ssh is using is open
> >through any firewall.
>
> >None of this is really Cygwin-specific so further discussion on this l
> >list along this line is really off-topic though.
>
> Hmmmm... I hope that is not true. I hope this is on topic because I think it
> is an issue with installing ssh. I get the following error when I try the
> command above:
>
> No matching comp found: client zlib server none,zlib@openssh.com
>
> I tried leaving off the -o and compression flags, but this did not help. I
> got the same error until I removed the -C and then it did not even give me
> an error message (and still did not work).
>
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

Again, as Larry said, this is off-topic, but I use the following neat
batch file to tunnel VNC over ssh, where ssh runs only as long as the VNC
session is open, and then quits.  In fact, I wouldn't even need a batch
file if I had the RealVNC directory in my system PATH.

@echo off
cd C:\Program Files\RealVNC
vncviewer.exe | c:\cygwin\bin\ssh -L 5900:127.0.0.1:590%1 %2 "cat >/dev/null"

The two parameters to the batch file are the display number (0, 1, etc)
and user@hostname.

HTH,
	Igor
--