starting problems XWin X Server

Alexander J. Herrmann ping2weltall@gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 18:19:00 GMT 2006

kautz, michael wrote:

>Hello,
>I want to run X-Windows and started C:\Cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat
>

>@echo off
>SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
>

>REM
>REM The path in the CYGWIN_ROOT environment variable assignment assume
>REM that Cygwin is installed in a directory called 'cygwin' in the root
>REM directory of the current drive.  You will only need to modify
>REM CYGWIN_ROOT if you have installed Cygwin in another directory.  For
>REM example, if you installed Cygwin in \foo\bar\baz\cygwin, you will need
>REM to change \cygwin to \foo\bar\baz\cygwin.
>REM
>REM This batch file will almost always be run from the same drive (and
>REM directory) as the drive that contains Cygwin/X, therefore you will
>REM not need to add a drive letter to CYGWIN_ROOT.  For example, you do
>REM not need to change \cygwin to c:\cygwin if you are running this
>REM batch file from the C drive.
>REM
>
>SET CYGWIN_ROOT=\cygwin
>SET RUN=%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\run -p /usr/X11R6/bin
>
>SET PATH=.;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\usr\X11R6\bin;%PATH%
>
>SET XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
>SET XCMSDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt
>SET XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
>SET XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale
>

>REM
>REM Cleanup after last run.
>REM
>
>if not exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0 goto CLEANUP-FINISH
>attrib -s %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
>del %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
>
>:CLEANUP-FINISH
>if exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix rmdir %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix
>

>REM
>REM The error "Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'" is
>REM caused by using a DOS mode mount for the mount that the Cygwin/X
>REM fonts are accessed through.  See the Cygwin/X FAQ for more
>REM information:
>REM http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof
>REM
>
>if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" goto OS_NT
>
>REM Windows 95/98/Me
>echo startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows 95/98/Me
>
>goto STARTUP
>
>:OS_NT
>
>REM Windows NT/2000/XP/2003
>echo startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003
>
>:STARTUP
>
>REM Brief descriptions of XWin-specific options:
>REM
>REM -screen scr_num [width height]
>REM      Enable screen scr_num and optionally specify a width and
>REM      height for that screen.
>REM      Most importantly, any parameters specified before the first -screen
>REM      parameter apply to all screens.  Any options after the first -screen
>REM      parameter apply only to the screen that precedes the parameter.
>REM      Example:
> [...]
REM
REM
REM

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

--

And God said"Let there be light."But then the program crashed because he
was trying to access the 'light' property of a NULL universe pointer.

Alexander J. Herrmann
Analyst/Programmer
http://www.aiengine.org
Email: Ping2Weltall@Gmail.com