CygWin : "XWin -indirect localhost -... ."

Pierre Guebels pierreg@phaselink.com
Tue May 2 23:07:00 GMT 2006

As a common situation our Company LAN comprises a multiplicity of linux and
solaris servers. Servers are all offering rlogin sessions via XDMCP chooser
to anyone on the LAN. A user on the LAN runs on his local PC (Windows XP OS)
CygWin to access such servers. CygWin startxdmcp.bat in /usr/X11R6/bin/ is
used as launch method. The following works perfectly : "XWin -indirect
MyLANserverx -nodecoration -lesspointer -swcursor -clipboard". It displays
correctly a chooser running on MyLANserverx for both linux and solaris
choosers. Similarly, "XWin -query MyLANserverx", and, "XWin - broadcast"
work correctly.

Now one likes to remove from such login procedure the dependency on
MyLANserverx availability for running the chooser. Indeed MyLANserverx could
be down or under maintenance or ... . Therefore one would prefer to use
CygWin itself on the user PC for polling XDMCP offers on the LAN and
presenting the chooser. This would provide a more reliable login procedure.
For the purpose I was launching : "XWin -indirect localhost - ..."  to
enforce CygWin localhost to be the server of indirect XDMCP queries from the
LAN. In any manner I cannot get the procedure to work!? The CygWin X server
starts delivering the same dark full screen as in the case when
"XWin -indirect MyLANserverx" was used but no chooser pops-up, everything
keeps silent at that point. I am quite sure that in /etc/X11/xdm/ the
xdm-config and Xaccess files are properly set. I did it carefully as per
CygWin documentation in man xdm.

Note further that :
1. - I can start separately the chooser (/etc/X11/xdm/chooser & , after
launching "Xwin -indirect localhost ...") but it keeps absolutely silent and
keep presenting an empty hosts list even when one pushes on its "list"
button.
2. - when trying to get localhost (PC user + CygWin) as participant in the
chooser list delivered by MyLANserverx (linux or solaris) the configuration
(same xdm-config and Xaccess) did also fail. I was not able to get Cygwin on
the user PC to present itself as potential login host for someone on the LAN
via MyLANserverx chooser.

Point 2. and "XWin -indirect localhost" failures described above seem for me
quite related. It looks as if XDMCP broadcast protocol can not work / is not
running / is not set-up on the PC with XP and CygWin. But to check this I do
not know where to look. So I am stuck with "Xwin -indirect localhost - ...
". I read all possible documentation on CygWinX web site, on  XDMCP How To
web location and from multiple Google search results and I can not get a
clue about how one can configure CygWin for running on its localhost PC its
chooser (chooser.exe in /etc/X11/xdm/ ). I would be very grateful if someone
can help me herewith. Thanks.