1.5.21: startxwin.sh works, startxwin.bat does not work

Scott Fordin scott@ohelp.com
Wed Oct 4 00:19:00 GMT 2006

René Berber wrote:
> Scott Fordin wrote: [snip]
>> Strange thing though is that it does work on another machine.
>
> Very strange, the differences you sent don't show an invalid script
> at all.  One of the 2 files has \r\n endings (that's the reason for
> the first 2 differences) but as long as they are being executed by
> command.com it doesn't matter.

Thanks again, René. I found the solution to the startxserver.bat
problem! Using one of your clues, I discovered that the Singular
post-install script did not update my PATH correctly. I fixed the
PATH to c:\cygwin\bin and c:\cygwin\X11R6\bin, and lo, the X
startup script worked.

> You can create a shortcut to startx.sh and then edit its "Properties"
> so the target ends up like: C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /usr/X11R6/bin/
> bash --login -c startx
> [Ref:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.xfree/16545]

Excellent. This is just what I was looking for.

> I use a shortcut to start X Windows only (no xterm):
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /usr/X11R6/bin XWin -multiwindow -clipboard
> -silent-dup-error -dpi 100

Very nice. Thanks again René. I really appreciate your thoughtful

Best regards,

Scott