1.5.21: startxwin.sh works, startxwin.bat does not work

Scott Fordin scott@ohelp.com
Sat Sep 30 00:06:00 GMT 2006

Thanks for replying, René. My responses are embedded inline.

René Berber wrote:
>> When I tried running the C:\cygwin\lib\Singular\startxserver.bat
> -----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> That is not from the Cygwin distribution.

Dunno. I ran the latest official Cygwin setup.exe, and chose to
install *all* the packages at one of the mirrors listed in the
install window:

ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin

The Singular stuff came with that.

> You seem to have installed something else on top of Cygwin.

Nope. Just the stuff that came through the Cygwin install.

>> ----------------------------- Snip -----------------------------
>> 'C:\cygwin\lib\lapack' is not recognized as an internal or external
>>  command, operable program or batch file.
>> ----------------------------- Snip -----------------------------
>
> So?  That means the above .bat file is trying to execute something
> else that also doesn't come with Cygwin... and is not even an
> executable.

Again. Dunno. It's what came with the distro.

>> I then tried the /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat script and got the
>> same error.
>
> If you received the same error message then something, not Cygwin,
> messed up your installation.  Same error probably means you executed
> the same file, are they really named startxserver.bat and
> startxwin.bat, or is just a typo?

Nope. Two different files. startxserver.bat came with the
Singular stuff. startxwin.bat is the standard batch file
included with Cygwin in /usr/X11R6/bin.

Again, the two things to remember here are that startxwin.sh
works just fine, and this exact same distro -- Singular stuff
included -- works just fine on my XP machine. Moreover, before
I rebuilt this Win2K box, this distribution worked just fine
as well.

>> I've tried totally removing and reinstalling Cygwin a couple of
>> times already.
>
> Did you check what was left on the above directory?  If Cygwin did
> not install whatever is there it will not delete it.

I completely deleted the Cygwin directories, which included
the Singular stuff.

Thanks again,

Scott