FW: X forward question

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Mon Aug 20 19:37:00 GMT 2007

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>.  Reformatted.

liang wrote:
> -----Original Message-----
>> Subject: Re: FW: X forward question
>>
>> liang wrote:
>>> From: liang [mailto:swang2000<AT>gmail<DOT>com]
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:40 PM
>>> To: 'cygwin-xfree<AT>cygwin<DOT>com'
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Yes, I know gmail doesn't do
this kind of thing automatically but it never hurts to ask.  In the meantime
you're left with manual editing.  A pain, I know.  But it's better than
opening yourself and others up to spamming.

>> I think you're looking at the wrong software to solve your problem.  If you
>> just want to run Windows programs on other machines, you can always
>> try connecting to a shared drive on the server and running the installed
>> program from the client.  But you're not going to find Cygwin X helps you
>> do this.
>>
 > Thanks for reply.
 > So, do you think that windows 2003 server is the solution for my goal?
 > Or any other options I have. Please give me some suggestion.
 > Basically I need to set up a super computer which allows several clients
 > to run applications for computing simultaneously. I think the windows are
 > the best environments since most of users are familiar windows systems.

If you want users to be able to log into your machine and run Windows GUI
(and command line) programs from that machine, you're probably best off
setting it up as a Windows server machine, yes.  Users can connect through
Terminal Services to run a desktop on the server and invoke programs from
there.

Discussion of things other than Cygwin-X is really off-topic for this list
though.  I'd suggest if you have more questions about setting up a machine
to act as a server for stock Windows applications, you should take them to
the proper Windows forum.

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746