Running Cygwin on Vista

T.Shoeib@lboro.ac.uk T.Shoeib@lboro.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 08:26:00 GMT 2007

Hello,

  I have been trying to run Cygwin on my new laptop
running Vista Home
Premium and I am having a really tough time. Initially,
the command

"startx" was not recognised so I downloaded all the x11
packages. I

then ran cygwin again without rebooting, the "startx"
command was then

recognised and an xterm window was opened. I tried to
connect to

Columbus but the "ssh" command was not recognised so I
decided to

reboot and start again and now after the reboot I run
cygwin and type

"startx" it does accept the command and starts however
gives the

message "linked dll data write copy failed and it does not
open the

xterm.

I also started reading about the problem on the net where
some claim that cygwin works for them on vista and other
see link http://www.trnicely.net/misc/vista.html claim
that it is a problem with that required a microsoft fix.

I need your help.

Tamer