Cygwin/X + Solaris = no function keys

Ryan Johnson ryanjohn@ece.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 5 14:59:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

I use the latest version of cygwin/X (updated yesterday) to connect to a
Solaris 10 box. Certain keys like page up and page down don't work for
any programs besides xemacs, but when I run SunStudio 11 (a Java app) I
lose everyting except alphanumerics and punctuation. This makes it
virtually impossible to use the program.

I've narrowed the problem down to trusted X connections: given hosts
cygwin.box and solaris.box, the bug appears if you use a direct connection:
> cygwin.box $ xhost solaris.box
> solaris.box $ DISPLAY=cygwin.box:0.0 sunstudio &
or a trusted X connection over ssh:
> cygwin.box $ ssh -fY solaris.box sunstudio
Using an untrusted connection instead fixes the problem, but I give up
all clipboard integration (which requires -Y):
> cygwin.box $ ssh -fX solaris.box sunstudio
*sigh* at least trying to use the clipboard in Java doesn't make it
crash with a "BadAtom" error like all the x-apps do. Has anyone else
seen this issue? It seems similar to a couple of messages about eclipse
from April 2005, but those had no resolution.

Thanks,
Ryan Johnson