startxwin.sh doesn't start, getting "could not open default font 'fixed'" error

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 22:59:00 GMT 2007

On 2/27/07, Jerome Fong  wrote:
> Yes, that is where I got the "umount /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts" command
> from.
> However I get the following error when I attempt to un-mount the directory:
>
> $ umount /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> umount: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts: No such file or directory
>
> thanks,
>
> Jerome
>
> Holger Krull wrote:
> > Jerome Fong schrieb:
> >> I searched but I didn't see an answer to this problem.  I am running
> >> Cygwin on Windows XP.   When I attempt to run startxwin.sh, I am getting
> >> an error that says "could not open default font 'fixed' ".
> >
> > Did you check
> > http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof
> >
> > --
>

> --

cygcheck -s -v -r output attached might be helpful.

It would be nice to know which X packages you have installed and what
your mount points look like.

-Jason